Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Stacking the Shelves #6




















Stacking the Shelves is all about sharing the books you recently acquired, be it a physical or virtual copy, a book borrow from the library or purchased. This is a weekly meme that is hosted by Tynga's Reviews, so be sure to check there on Saturdays and see what everyone else has added to their shelves!

This STS continues my ALA haul from Jan. 26th. All title link to Goodreads.

Sorry to get this up so late, I have started a new full-time job in addition to my part-time job and they are taking up most of my time. 

The Ring & the Crown / Melissa de la Cruz / April 1, 2014

I am really interested in jumping into this story. I sound like it will be quite an adventure. I found the description on the inside cover of the actual book to be a bit off putting and all over the place. But the summary on Goodreads was much better and actually told me a little about the story and I think I am going to enjoy it. 





Sea of Shadows / Kelley Armstrong / April 8, 2014

A new series from Kelley Armstrong. The first book introduces us to sisters, Moria and Ashyn, who are tasked with the dangerous job of quieting enraged souls of the damned. They get separated in their task and each is joined by an unlikely ally. This seems like it will be the start of a pretty awesome fantasy series!





Searching for Sky / Jillian Cantor / May 13, 2014

The island is all Sky has ever known. She and River have always lived there in seclusion, until the day River sees a boat. Whisked off the island and thrust into a new world that she does not understand, Sky has trouble adapting to the new life she must live. Reunited with a grandmother she does not know and separated from River, the only constant she has ever had, is a challenge she must face, while trying to figure out a way to get them back there. I am really interested in reading this and finding out how they ended up on an island alone in the first place. 


The Secret Side ofEmpty / Marie E. Andreu / March 11, 2014

A story about a young high school student, M.T., who happens to also be an undocumented immigrant. This really intrigues me. The author pulls from her personal experiences to write a, hopefully authentic book. I haven’t really read anything of this sort and am really looking forward to the story.





Seven for a Secret / Lyndsay Faye / September 17, 2013

The second book in the Timothy Wilde Mysteries series finds the talented officer astounded and disgusted by his discovery of “blackbirders,” people who take free northerners of color from their homes and sell them in the south as slaves. I have not read the first book in this series, but I know that it is available at my library and definitely plan on checking it out soon.




Sex & Violence / Carrie Mesrobian / October 1, 2013

This sounds super interesting to me. Evan Carter likes sex. It has always come easy for him, and without consequences. Until one night, the seventeen year old chosses the wrong girl and is beaten quite badly. His father moves them to a remote town where he can heal. Evan is hoping this place, as annoying as it is, will be just what he needs to separate sex and violence. 




Steadfast / Claudia Gray / March 1, 2014

I do not know much about this story, as I don’t want to spoil myself for the first one. Steadfast follows Spellcaster, which I have not read, but plan to soon!







The Summer I Found You / Jolene Perry / March 1, 2014

I don’t really read a lot of contemporary, but I am looking to get into the genre and I believe this will be a nice story to help spur that on. It follows Kate after she is dumped by her boyfriend and still dealing with her type 1 diabetes diagnosis. She meets Aiden, a young army veteran who is home trying to deal with his new life with a disability. I really want to see how these two help each other, I am assuming, heal and to find all that life has to offer them. 



The Treatment / Suzanne Young / April 29, 2014

I have no idea how I have shown any restraint and not devoured this book yet. I loved The Program and I really hope this one lives up to my expectations. The premise of The Program was really, really interesting to me. In a time where teen/young adult suicide is at an all-time high, the government (I think) implements this program that if, they think you are on the verge of suicide they take you and place you in a facility where you are “rehabilitated.” Essentially they take all of your memories that they deem sad or inappropriate. The first book was amazing and I can’t wait to dive into this one. 


Troubled Daughters, Twisted Wives / Sarah Weinman

This is a collection of stories from female creators of psychological thriller and suspense. Authors include Shirley Jackson, Vera Caspary, and Margaret Millar. 







Feel free to leave a comment and let me know if any sound interesting to you or if you have read any of them. I can't wait to see some of your shelves!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my you got some great books! I don't know which one sounds the best they all sound so good! Great haul I'm jealous!
    Here's my STS http://bookstothetea.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete