Saturday, March 8, 2014

Stacking the Shelves #5




















Stacking the Shelves is all about sharing the books you recently acquired, be it a physical or virtual copy, a book borrow from the library or purchased. This is a weekly meme that is hosted by Tynga's Reviews, so be sure to check there on Saturdays and see what everyone else has added to their shelves!

This STS continues my ALA haul from Jan. 26th. All titles link to Goodreads.

A Matter of Souls / Denise Lewis Patrick / April 1, 2014

This is a collection of short stories written about African Americans that spans centuries and continents. I dropped the ball on this one; it would have been a great read for Black History month. I am still really looking forward to reading these stories. 





Meridian / Josin L. Mcquein / April 22, 2014

I don’t know much about this because it is the sequel to Arclight and I don’t want to spoil myself for it. I have Arclight on order and Can’t Wait for it to come in so I can dive right into these two!






Mind of Winter / Laura Kasischke / March 25, 2014

This is a bit mysterious and sounds pretty interesting. It seems that Holly and her husband Eric traveled to Russia to adopt a baby, Tatiana. They ignored all the warning from the superstitious nurses and took Tatiana home with them. Not thirteen years later, Tatiana has grown into a beautiful young lady, but seems to be having a shift in personality. Strange things keep happening around the house and now Holly is stuck in a blizzard all alone with disturbing Tatiana, the daughter that she no longer recognizes. 


Murder in Pigalle / Cara Black / March 4, 2014

Already stressing about having to deal with the rowdy French football fans, five months pregnant Private Investigator Aimee Leduc has a lot on her plate. When a serial rapist starts terrorizing a Paris neighborhood, Aimee must try and find the man before any more young girls get victimized. This seems like it will be a very good mystery, I am also excited that it is set in Paris, a place I have always wanted to visit.



No One Else Can HaveYou / Kathleen Hale / January 7, 2014

I have already read this and I loved it. It was witty and funny with dark undertones. I really enjoyed it and recommend it to anyone that likes a mystery and doesn’t mind a teenage girl taking over the investigation. It is set in a small Wisconsin town that is very quiet and never has any serious dangers afoot. Until a high school student is found murdered in a cornfield. They dead girl’s best friend, Kippy, goes on a hunt for the killer when the sheriff is content to lock up the boyfriend, who he has a grudge against. There were some parts that got a bit ridiculous for me, but overall I really enjoyed it, it was a fast read, which I will hopefully be doing a review of soon (when I get back on the review train). 

Perfect Lies / Kiersten White / February 18, 2014

This is also a sequel that I have not read, but have Mind Games on hold at the library. Don’t know much about them, but I am excited to start.







Precious Thing / Colette McBeth / March 4, 2014

Friends since high school, Rachel and Clara are going in complete opposite directions. Rachel has turned from the shy, awkward one, into a woman that has her life in order while Clara has gone from the girl everyone wants to be friends with to a life that is spiraling out of control. Now Clara is missing and Rachel may not have the chance to help her get her life back on track. I am really interested in this because news journalism, Rachel’s occupation, is intriguing to me and I want to see how it shapes the story.


Reconstructing Amelia / Kimberly McCreight / April 2, 2013

This whole concept is very cool to me. A mother is trying to find out what really happened in the last days of her daughter’s life so she sifts through her emails, text messages, social media profiles and phone logs to see what was really going through her daughter’s mind when she (supposedly) killed herself. I think it is going to be a great mystery and can’t wait to read it.




Remnants: Season of Wonder / Lisa T. Bergren / February 26, 2014

Set in a futuristic dystopia there is a prophesy that state seven children will be bore on a certain day and when they grow up they will become the protectors of humankind. So that was a really bad summary I just gave, but that is pretty much the gist of it. Of course there is an opposing group that they must face and I feel like this is going to be a pretty awesome adventure. It is the first book in a trilogy, so hopefully there will be enough action to carry it forward. 



Renegade / Debra Driza / May 13, 2014

I have Mila 2.0 and for some reason it keeps on being put on the back burner, but I really need to read it soon or I will have renewed it to the max! In the first book we are introduced to a girl who discovers she is an experiment in artificial intelligence. Forced to go on the run from two groups, one that wants to kill her and one that wants to unlock the hidden powers inside her, she must face what she really is and try and find out to what extent she is different. Apparently there is a huge cliffhanger at the end of the first book, so I am extremely happy to have the second one to start right away. 


Feel free to leave a comment and let me know if any sound interesting to you or if you have read any of them. I can't wait to see some of your shelves!!

4 comments:

  1. I read Mind Games and really enjoyed it. Remnants sounds like something I would like, might have to check it out! Happy reading!

    My STS: http://myfullbookshelfreviews.blogspot.com/2014/03/stacking-shelves-3814_8.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked both Mind Games and Perfect Lies but they do take a sophisticated reader because of their non-linear styles. I'm not sure many of my students could handle them. I have Renegade on my stack too. I did enjoy Mila 2.0. Come see what I added to my stacks at Inside of a Dog and Ms. Martin Teaches Media. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice haul. I really need to hurry up and read my copy of Mila 2.0 now that the sequel is out, I really like the look of that series. I hope you enjoy your books :) My STS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I really need to get a jump start on Mila 2.0. But, good news is you have time to read it, as Renegade does not come out until May!!

      Delete