Friday, December 27, 2013

Escaping Reality by Lisa Renee Jones

Title: Escaping Reality
Author: Lisa Renee Jones
Published: July 22, 2013
Series?: The Secret Life of Amy Bensen #1
Format Read/Pages: eBook/250
How Acquired It: NetGalley
Date Finished: December 11, 2013

Infinite possibilities….
Infinite passion…..
Infinite danger….

His touch spirals through me, warm and sweet, wicked and hot. I shouldn’t trust him. I shouldn’t tell him my secrets. But how do I not when he is the reason I breathe? He is what I need.

At the young age of eighteen, tragedy and a dark secret force Lara to flee all she has known and loves to start a new life. Now years later, with a new identity as Amy, she’s finally dared to believe she is forgotten–even if she cannot forget. But just when she lets down her guard, the ghosts of her past are quick to punish her, forcing her back on the run.


On a plane, struggling to face the devastation of losing everything again and starting over, Amy meets Liam Stone, a darkly entrancing recluse billionaire, who is also a brilliant, and famous, prodigy architect. A man who knows what he wants and goes after it. And what he wants is Amy. Refusing to take “no” as an answer, he sweeps her into a passionate affair, pushing her to her erotic limits. He wants to possess her. He makes her want to be possessed. Liam demands everything from her, accepting nothing less. But what if she is too devastated by tragedy to know when he wants more than she should give? And what if there is more to Liam than meets the eyes?

~

To be honest, I have no idea why I liked this book so much. I remember thinking to myself while reading that it was going to be hard to write a review because there really isn’t all that much development that happens, but I enjoyed it none the less.

The beginning was very captivating for me and left me with a ton of unanswered questions (as the story continued that seemed to be a common thing), like who was after Amy and what was the reason she was running from them. I honestly think one of the most appealing things about this story, for me, was how uninformative it was. That might sound weird, but it made me feel closer to Amy because she was just as in the dark as I was. So, when she discovered the few details that she did, it was like I could join in on the excitement of uncovering a clue to her past.

The relationship Amy and Liam have is a very odd one. She lets him take control over her affairs after only knowing him for a small number of hours. I think this may be because she is used to her “Guardian Angel” giving her direction on where to live and what to do, so it is natural for her to follow commands from a dominant male. Liam is a very alpha male character and is not afraid to show his controlling nature. Jared, Amy’s neighbor who we know very little about, really seems to bring out the worst in Liam as he is also a dominant male figure in her close proximity.

Something that made me laugh at the absurdity of it was their inability to use their brains when it came to unprotected sex. Not a good idea, but it happens. That does not mean that there are not further protection methods that would keep you from getting pregnant, there is no way a woman in her twenties has not heard of Plan B, also known as, the morning after pill. Now, if we continue with the other book(s) in the series we will likely have to deal with a pregnancy.  

While most of the book felt like filler with no real plot development I still found the story to be an enjoyable, fast read. I will more than likely continue on to the next book, if only just to see Liam’s reaction to Amy leaving. 

3.5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment