Monday, September 1, 2014

Bout of Books 11.0 Wrap-Up

Well, I did a lot better this time around. Things got a little hectic at work and I was unable to read as much as I would have like to. I really enjoyed all the stuff that I did read, though. So, that is a win in my opinion.

Books I Finished:

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout ~ 4/5 stars

This book really surprised me. I have read and heard that everyone finds it so addicting and almost a guilt pleasure read and that is exactly what it turned out to be for me. Was it the best writing? No way. But it was good enough to capture my attention long enough to finish the story within just a few days. It was very hokey at times and so predictable, but in an almost self aware way. Will I be continuing on with the series? Probably. I see this as one of those series that I will pick up the next installment when I have nothing else to read, but I am not chomping at the bit to find out what happens. I have heard that the series gets better as it goes on and I am looking forward to, eventually, delving into it.


Sandman Vol. 1 by Neil Gaiman ~ 5/5 stars 

I really loved the first installment in the Sandman series. It was so interesting, well written and engaging that I could not put it down. The drawings and the story had me so engrossed, I especially liked the dark nature of the graphics. The shadow work was amazing. The complex story line is one that will keep you guessing and wanting more. I really liked all the references to mythology and other fictional characters and worlds that were made.




Books I started: 

Invasion of the Body Snatchers by Jack Finney ~  4/5 stars (eventual)

I started this book and was only able to get a little ways through it. What I read of it, I loved. I eventually ended up finishing it in August and it was a great read. There were some elements that I did not care for, but overall a really enjoyable read. I also really liked how he reference Time and Again, which was not published until 1970 in this novel that was published in 1955.




I am really happy, overall with what I was able to get done this time around. Hopefully, going forward I will be able to participate in more reading challenges and give myself harder goals and really push myself. I am looking forward to more in the future! Hope everyone had a great BoB!!




No comments:

Post a Comment