Monday, May 27, 2013

Music of the Heart by Katie Ashley


Title: Music of the Heart
Author: Katie Ashley
Published: March 24, 2013  
Series?: Runaway Train #1 
Format Read/Pages: ebook/259
How/When I Acquired It: Bought it/April 2013 
Date Finished: April 15, 2013


For Abby Renard, the plan was supposed to be simple—join her brothers’ band on the last leg of their summer tour and decide if she’s finally ready for the limelight by becoming its fourth member. Of course, she never imagined stumbling onto the wrong tour bus at Rock Nation would accidentally land her in the bed of Jake Slater, the notorious womanizing lead singer of Runaway Train. When he mistakes her for one of his groupie’s, Abby quickly lets him know she sure as hell isn't in his bed on purpose.

Jake Slater never imagined the angel who fell into his bed would resist his charms by promptly kneeing him in the balls. Of course, the fact she seems like a prissy choir girl makes her anything but his type. So he is more than surprised when after betting Abby she wouldn’t last a week on their tour bus, she is more than willing to prove him wrong. But as Jake’s personal life begins to implode around him, he finds an unlikely ally in Abby. He’s never met a woman he can talk to, joke with, or most importantly make music with.

As the week starts comes to a close, neither Abby nor Jake is ready to let go. Can a sweetheart Country songstress and a bad boy of Rock N Roll actually have a future together?

~

When I first read the description for Music of the Heart, I found my self laughing at the absurdity. Why would anyone agree to living on a bus with four men just to win a bet with someone that you hardly know and already can't stand? But then I had to reevaluate my stand as I personally have taken bets that to others may seem very illogical. After I was able to get over the ridiculousness of the situation, I found that I thoroughly enjoyed the story that was being told. While at times it was utterly cliched, it was able to hole my interest enough and I am willing to admit, brought me to tears on occasion. 

The characters were extremely likable, I tend to find the females leads in books like this to be highly annoying at times, but I found myself actually liking and rooting for Abby. Jake is of course a heartthrob, tattoos (I'm a sucker for tattoos.) I found that it was the secondary characters that would often make the scene, with the jokes and the insightful background on our two leads. 

My biggest concern, and it is something that is found in just about any new adult fiction with a "badboy" is the scene in which Jake verbally demolishes Abby's character and her love for him, and then she just forgives him. I get that he was going through a rough time, but come one girl, stand up for yourself!! This is definitely a minor thing that I can look over, but I really shouldn't, the fact that it has become the norm these days is a bit sad and telling of the future. 

Overall, I really enjoyed Music of the Heart, I really liked the writing style Katie Ashley bring to the table. I will definitely be looking into her other works.  


4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment